FedEx Freight’s Don Logan is 2012 Bendix National Truck Driving Championships Grand Champion
August 17, 2012
Don Logan, a FedEx Freight professional truck driver from Topeka, Kan., was named the 2012 Bendix National Truck Driving Championships Grand Champion. Don’s driving skills and knowledge of transportation and truck safety information topped those of 425 other professional drivers from all across the United States in the National Truck Driving Championships, held in Minneapolis, Minn. The 75th annual “Super Bowl of Safety” is sponsored by the American Trucking Associations.
In route to his title, Don has logged 25 years as a professional truck driver, with over 2.1 million miles behind the wheel. Don began competing in his state truck driving championships in 2006, and this year he made his sixth trip to the National Truck Driving Championships. This is the third win for Don at the national level, placing first in the three-axle class in 2009 and in the twins class in 2010. Don holds six state titles.
The contestants were the state champions in nine truck types from all 50 states. Collectively, they have driven 604,122,031 accident-free miles.
In their respective classes, drivers tested their expertise in the driving skills they use daily. The competition course inside the Minneapolis Convention Center challenged their knowledge of safety, equipment and the industry. The skills course tested drivers’ ability to judge distances, maneuver tight spaces, reverse, park, and position their vehicle exactly over scales, before barriers or around curves.
“The National Truck Driving Championships competitors are the best of the best – the safest, most skilled and most knowledgeable among professional drivers,” said ATA President and CEO Bill Graves. “I applaud all the competitors for their achievements and dedication to safety, and congratulate Don on his Grand Champion award which showcases his superior driving skill and commitment to safety.”
Don also won the individual flatbed truck driving competition. Joining Don as champions in their respective classes:
Straight Truck: PA – Robert Dolan, Con-way Freight, Allentown, Pa.
Three-Axle: MA – Roland Bolduc, FedEx Express, Windsor, Conn.
Four-Axle:NE – Scott Stroup, YRC Freight, Omaha, Neb.
Five-Axle: ID – Michael Grogan, Con-way Freight, Boise, Idaho
Flatbed: KS – Donald Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, Kan.
Tank Truck: KY – Brent Quire, Con-way Freight, Louisville, Ky.
Twins: AL -Michael Umphrey, Con-way Freight, Decatur, Ala.
Sleeper Berth: PA – Leo Flack, A. Duie Pyle, Inc., West Chester, Pa.
Step Van: Edward Gertz, FedEx Express, Londonderry, N.H.
Don Logan succeeds Paul Phillips, a professional truck driver with Con-way Freight from Coarsegold, Calif., as the National Grand Champion.
Robert Sutton, a driver for ABF Freight System, Inc. from Boise, Idaho, was named the 2012 National Rookie of the Year after competing in the Three-Axle division. Xata Corporation is the sponsor of the award.
The Pennsylvania state truck driving championship team won honors as the highest scoring state team, followed by Washington and Georgia respectively. This marks the 15th time Pennsylvania has won the state trophy, the first dating back to 1956.
Don Logan also won the Vehicle Condition Award, one of the longest running NTDC awards. The Vehicle Condition Award recognizes the contestant who has proven – during this competition – that he or she has a thorough understanding of equipment, an extraordinary ability to inspect and evaluate a truck’s condition, and unequivocal commitment to safety. Biodiesel: America’s Advanced Biofuel was the sponsor of the award.
Denis Litalien, a driver for Clifford W. Perham, Inc., from Wells, Maine, was awarded the Neill Darmstadter Professional Excellence Award. Litalien participated in the Five-Axle competition.
Marking his 20th year as a volunteer at the state level and 14 years at the national level, Jack Taylor was awarded the Life-Time Volunteer Award. Truck Writers was the sponsor of the Life-Time Volunteer Award.
A full list of award winners is attached.
*Editors: High resolution photos of the winners are available.
ATA’s Truck Driving Championships included top professional truck drivers from around the nation competing at state and regional levels to make it to the national competition Aug.7-11 in Minneapolis, Minn. The NTDC attracted over 2,000 cheering friends, family, colleagues and spectators. For more information, visit the 2012 National Truck Driving Championships website: www.truckline.com/Federation/Councils/slpmc/NTDC/Pages/Default.aspx
American Trucking Associations is the largest national trade association for the trucking industry. Through a federation of 50 affiliated state trucking associations and industry-related conferences and councils, ATA is the voice of the industry America depends on most to move our nation’s freight. Follow ATA on Twitteror on Facebook. Good stuff. Trucks Bring It!
The American Trucking Associations leads the effort for safer highways, focusing on greater education, enforcement and enhancement of traffic safety laws for all drivers. www.trucking.org.
2012 National Truck Driving Championship Winners:
Straight Truck Class
1. PA – Robert Dolan, Con-way Freight, Allentown, Pa.
2. NJ – Michael Scripko, Con-way Freight, Hamilton, N.J.
3. AL – Scott Ward, Con-way Freight, Decatur, Ala.
1. MA – Roland Bolduc, FedEx Express, Windsor, Conn.
2. NY – Gerald Thompson, Con-way Freight, Tonawanda, N.Y.
3. NH – Wayne McClellan, Con-way Freight, Manchester, N.H.
1. NE – Scott Stroup, YRC Freight, Omaha, Neb.
2. OR – Christopher Outen, FedEx Freight, Portland, Ore.
3. PA – Kevin Miskiewicz, YRC Freight, Line Lexington, Pa.
1. ID – Michael Grogran, Con-way Freight, Boise, Idaho
2. CA – Richard Camarda, ABF Freight System, Inc., Sacramento, Calif.
3. WA – Gary Herrygers, The Boeing Company, Renton, Wash.
1. KS – Donald Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, Kan.
2. ME – Kevin Duran, Hannaford Trucking Co., Portland, Maine
3. WV – Kenneth Grimmett, Con-way Freight, Belle, W.Va.
Tank Truck Class
1. KY – Brent Quire, Con-way Freight, Louisville, Ky.
2. MS – Jason Matte, FedEx Freight, Richland, Miss.
3. WA – Victor Skoglund, FedEx Freight, Everett, Wash.
1. AL – Michael Umphrey, Con-way Freight, Decatur, Ala.
2. NY – Mark McLean, FedEx Freight, Montgomery, N.Y.
3. NC – Leonard Coelman, FedEx Freight, Greensboro, N.C.
Sleeper Berth Class
1. PA – Leo Flack, A. Duie Pyle, Inc., Westchester, Pa.
2. LA – Pat Rudesill, FedEx Ground, Hammond, La.
3. WA – Roy Carcia, Peninsula Truck Lines, Spokane, Wash.
1. NH – Edward Gertz, FedEx Express, Londonderry, N.H.
2. AZ – Sean Saxon, FedEx Ground, Tempe, Ariz.
3. N.C. – Michael Bills, FedEx Express, Durham, N.C.
Bendix National Truck Driving Championships Grand Champion: Don Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, Kan.
National Rookie of the Year: Robert Sutton, ABF Freight System, Inc., Boise, Idaho
Team Trophy: The Pennsylvania state truck driving championship team won honors as the highest scoring state team, followed by Washington and Georgia respectively.
Vehicle Condition Award: Don Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, Kan.
Neill Darmstadter Professional Excellence Award: Denis Litalien, Clifford W. Perham, Inc., Wells, Maine
Life-Time Volunteer Award: Jack Taylor